Wednesday, July 20, 2005

"Like Something Out Of Kerouac"


Talking Heads-Sugar On My Tongue



-At a recent midnight movie showing of "Stop Making Sense", I totally fell in love with the Talking Heads all over again. When I was just a wee lad in the Year Of Our Lord, 1988, I, like many other preschool graduates, was without blog, iPod, or even a decent set of headphones. I was forced to succumb to the board jumping musical preferences of my mother, which bounced frequently from Bonnie Rait, to Genesis, to Tracy Chapman and later surprises like The Stranglers and Iggy Pop. She also played quite a bit of anything David Byrne related. She made me a mixtape along time ago of songs she played when I was in the crib....Enya's "Sail Away" was on there, as was "Burning Down The House", my personal fave, nostaglic value irrelevant. Jonathan Demme, director of "Silence Of The Lambs", created the best possible concert film of all time. No psychadelic camera tricks circa any Hendrix footage, no unnecessary stage antics or fan introspections, not even a mandatory backstage interview with the band. Just genius enough to get at least six people in the theater up and out of their seats, acid inspired or not, looking more like gospel revivalists in some lucid dream than the reality--scrawy, white, teenagers dancing like it WASN'T the 21st century, you dig?

-Speaking of Iggy Pop, The Stooges-"Down On The Street" is a song that can certainly transform afflicted brainchildren of the modern era into Chuck Berry era wonderkids.

-And if nothing else works, MC Hammer can show you something related to collar popping and exaggerated movements of all kinds.

-I reupped the DJ Shadow track below...I'm considering posting up the entire second disc of the album, which is Shadow's six song, over 100 minute, psychadelic mix. It's really great and incredibly limited and I don't know if it's easy to come by....any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment